NO BULK ITEMS WILL BE COLLECTED UNLESS THE RESIDENT SCHEDULES COLLECTION ONLINE OR CALLS 645-3111
Some large items cannot be thrown away because they are too big to fit in your trash container. Residents should contact the City's 311 Customer Service Center to schedule bulk items by calling 311 or 645-3111, or online at www.311.columbus.gov.
Bulk items include, but are not limited to:
The best option for disposing of large items in good condition is to give them to a friend or charitable organization. Franklin County’s HandsOn Program (formerly FIRSTLINK) can provide referrals to organizations that will accept donations of old furniture, appliances or other items such as clothing and use them to help families in need. Many local churches will also take donated items and give them to needy families. Most central Ohio residents can reach HandsOn by dialing 211, others may call (614) 221-2255.
Arrange for Pickup
To use the on-line bulk-collection scheduling process, click here.
The City of Columbus will pick up many bulk items as a free service to its residents. The City can pick up furniture, mattresses, carpet, and appliances that do not have refrigerants in them, like dishwashers and washing machines. Bulk items should not be placed in your collection container.
Follow these guidelines:
• To schedule collection of bulk items, contact the City's 311 Service Center ((614) 645-3111) or 311.columbus.gov
• If your regular trash is picked up at the curb, place bulk items in front of your home away from obstructions on your specially scheduled collection day.
• If your regular trash is picked up in an alley, place bulk items on the edge of your property at the alley line on your specially scheduled collection day.
• Roll carpet into a bundle 4 feet long by 2 feet in diameter and tie it with rope.
• Leave furniture assembled.
• Glass must be removed from bulk items, placed in a box, taped and marked glass.
• Residents are responsible for cleaning up any glass residue that may remain on the ground in front of their home as a result of collection.
• Smaller bulk items must be placed in boxes. Plastic or metal trash cans placed out with a bulk collection will be collected for disposal.
• DO NOT place bagged or canned trash out for bulk collection. They must be placed inside your 90 (wheeled) or 300-gallon container for collection.
Some items cannot be collected by the City of Columbus. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Hazardous, flammable or explosive materials;
• Auto parts and tires;
• Excavating and building materials;
• Refrigerated appliances (refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, heat pumps, water coolers and air conditioners);
• Furnaces, Pianos, Spas, Hot tubs or pool tables
For these items, please call a private hauler (check google local or the yellow pages under "Rubbish").
Can't find what you are looking for?
Check our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) or call (614) 645-3111 to talk to a 311 Service Center Representative.